The annual conference of the American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy, on Policing, will be held Friday, September 30, 2022, 12:00-6:00. It will be a hybrid event: an in-person conference (hosted by Harvard University’s Edmond & Lily Safra Center for Ethics) together with a Zoom meeting. There is no registration fee.
The in-person conference will occur at Harvard University's Quincy House, 58 Plympton Street, Cambridge, in the Kates Tobin Room. Here is a map.
Zoom meeting, 12:00-6:00: https://harvard.zoom.us/j/96567647417?pwd=YjhSODU1SnY1aytDNUgyNjhNY3h5dz09
If you have difficulty joining the meeting, you may reach out to Alex Ostrowski Schilling at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the meeting has begun, if you are experiencing issues, please reach out to her using the Chat function on Zoom; if you are unable to do so, you may reach her at the email above.
Consent to Recording: The conference will be recorded. By joining the conference, you consent to being recorded while speaking.
Editors Eric Beerbohm and Ekow Yankah have put together the following excellent program with speakers from law, political science, and philosophy. We have provided links to the principal papers and the commentary we have received.
Panel I (Law): 12:00-1:30 EDT
· Principal paper: Tracey Meares (Yale)
· Philosophy commentator: Brandon Hogan (Howard)
· Political Science commentator: Jim Wilson (Chicago)
Panel II (Political Science): 2:00-3:30 EDT
· Principal paper: Neil Roberts (Toronto)
· Philosophy commentator: Erin Kelly (Tufts)
· Law commentator: Daniel Fryer (Michigan)
Panel III (Philosophy): 4:00-5:30 EDT
· Principal paper: Adam Omar Hosein (Northeastern), What is at stake in seeking social cohesion through inclusion or through control?
· Law commentator: Alice Ristroph (Brooklyn)
· Political Science commentators: Brianna Remster (Villanova) & Rory Kramer (Villanova), The Exclusionary Nature of Policing and the Liberal Argument for Cohesion: A Call for Abolition?
ASPLP Business Meeting, 5:30-6:00 EDT
All members of the ASPLP who attend the conference, whether in person or by Zoom, are encouraged to attend the annual business meeting, 5:30-6:00. The agenda will be distributed to all members by email shortly before the conference. The Zoom link is the same one as that for the conference. Here it is again: https://harvard.zoom.us/j/96567647417?pwd=YjhSODU1SnY1aytDNUgyNjhNY3h5dz09
Become a Member of the ASPLP
If you are not already a member of the ASPLP, we encourage you to join. All who become a member by October 15 will promptly receive NOMOS LXIV: Truth and Evidence and, early next year, NOMOX LXV: Reconciliation and Repair (the volumes growing out of our most recent conferences). Only $50 per year for regular members and a mere $20 for graduate students and emeritus/a members. If you have trouble with the website, contact Jim Fleming at email@example.com.
David Estlund, President
James Fleming, Secretary-Treasurer
Eric Beerbohm & Ekow Yankah, Editors